At its regularly scheduled meeting on Tuesday, October 16, the Coeur d’Alene City Council will vote to approve a contract with Kristina Lyman, its pre-selected Propagandist-in-Chief (Communications Coordinator Consultant.)
Here is a link to some of the documents Council members have been provided to help them consider this position.
There are a few interesting tidbits in the documents.
1. Lyman will work directly with City Administrator Wendy Gabriel who will manage Lyman’s responsibilities.
2. At the October 8, 2012, General Services Committee meeting, Chairman Mike Kennedy offered the motion to approve the agreement with Lyman. His motion died for lack of second by either of the other Committee members present, so the matter goes to Council without a Committee recommendation.
3. Lyman will be an independent contractor, not a City employee.
4. The agreement with Lyman contains a nondisparagement covenant. This means that when Lyman realizes she’s being played like a five-string banjo by the City and she terminates the contract to save her career, she can’t blow the whistle by “intentionally mak[ing] statements materially injurious to the business reputation or good will of the City or any of its directors, its officers or employees.”
5. The agreement with Lyman, who is being hired to enhance communications with citizens, contains a confidentiality covenant. She will be allowed to present the propaganda approved by the City for release to the public. Nothing else.
6. Exhibit 1 outlines her Services, Duties, and Responsibilities.
Ms. Lyman has suitable credentials to fulfill her duties. Somehow, I suspect the duration of her contract with the City will be measured with a stopwatch rather than a calendar.